PES Bright Futures Play Academy

Where children play to learn

Welcome Miss Rachel

on November 22, 2013

This week you may have heard your children talk about a new adult in our classroom.  Miss Rachel Rarick joined our class this week, and will be with us until December 13th.  She is completing a practicum for her early childhood diploma, and we are very excited to have her as part of our class.

We had to say goodbye to the school bus this week, as our best mechanics could not fix it.  It brought us many good memories though.  If you would like to make your own school bus for home all you need is a big box and a lot of yellow paint.  I know the kids really enjoyed it.

Next week we will continue to explore with color and will listen to a new Pete the Cat story called Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses.  Unfortunately I do not have it in my collection yet, but will be getting it soon, so we will have to see the Youtube version.  Pete will also teach us a new dance this week.  We have also been learning a fun rhyming action color song.  Say the colors and see if your child can remember the rhyme.  Rhyming is a very important prereading skill.

Last week we made beautiful mittens with the kids by squirting paint on paper and folding it in half to make 2 sides that are the same.  They ended up being very wet with paint so we will finish them up and send them home next week.

Here are some pictures from the week.

CIMG1611 CIMG1612 CIMG1613 CIMG1614 CIMG1615 CIMG1616 CIMG1618 CIMG1619 CIMG1620 CIMG1621 CIMG1622 CIMG1623 CIMG1624  CIMG1629 CIMG1630 CIMG1632 CIMG1635

Scholastic orders came in today.  If you ordered books please be sure to get them from me next week.  I have also placed the December Scholastic order today.  This will be the last book order before Christmas.  There will be new book orders put out in the New Year.

I wanted to share an article I read recently that shared 5 ways to build early language skills.  If you skip down to the end of the article you can see the points in bullet form.  The main idea is to talk to your kids and with your kids.  This website has several fantastic links to read and explore about developmentally appropriate play and activities for our children.